You are here

Road Worker Safety

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 
Research articles : 

My job requires me to pull over and park for a short period of time on the freeway. There is sufficient space to pull off and I'm not obstructing a lane but I'm wondering what the regulations are in respect to signaling and signage.

The Motor Vehicle Act (MVA) is very definite about what is required. When work is being carried out on a highway signs must be posted indicating that people or equipment are working there. The signs must also either limit the speed of vehicles or restrict their lanes of travel. Drivers must obey these signs and the directions of a flagger if one is present.

Once the work has been completed and there is no need to keep the temporary signs in place they must be removed. It is an offence to fail to do this as well as to fail to put them up in the first instance.

Road maintenance vehicles are granted an exemption from the rules of the road in Part 3 of the MVA, but only if they execise due care when they use the priviledge.

Yellow flashing lights are reserved for vehicles that are actually engaged in road maintenance but may be used by other work vehicles on the highway under the conditions of a permit issued by the Director of Commercial Vehicle Safety.

There may be addition rules that apply to workers and their work sites on the highway. Inquiries with the Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure and Worksafe BC would be a wise investment of time and part of due diligence for any employer or worker who has not received specific instructions from their employer.

B.C. doesn't have a slow down or move over rule for road workers yet, but they are in place in other states and provinces. Drivers should be aware that they may be required to slow down, move over, or both. This is common sense, but it can be reinforced with a significant fine if a driver forgets to consider the other road users.